Welcome to the Weekly homework page! Your homework should be uploaded to your blog by 8am on Fridays.
Week 1-2: Elements and principles of design:
This weeks homework task is to finish your elements and principles of design thumbnail sketches grid in Illustrator.
Step 1: Create a grid like the one to the left in your Illustrator. Use a ruler to make straight lines. It should be 36 squares. Label your drawings.
Step 2: : In each section, draw an outstanding example of the element and principle of design as they intersect. You can use the examples for ideas ,but you need to create new ideas, please do not just copy the examples provided.
Example 1: A design that shows texture and movement could be illustrated by tire tracks. The tracks marks drawing are a texture, and the lines show movement because the eye follows them through the composition.
Example 2: Lines that show contrast could be thin or thin, or you could draw all thin small lines, with a contrasting zigzag line in the middle of them.
Week 3: Keyboard Shortcuts quiz
command S Save
command Shift S Save as
command Z Undo
command C Copy
command V Paste
command zero Fit to screen
command - Zoom out
command + Zoom in
command o Open project
command N New project
command Shift N New layer
command W Close Window
command Q Quit Program
V Selection Tool
(black mouse) G Gradient Tool
T Type Tool
P Pen Tool
Week 4: Adobe TV videos
After learning the Elements and Principles of design, the fundamentals to Adobe Illustrator and defining what Graphic design is, we are now in full swing!
Continue learning at home, because that's how you get better!
Adobe TV! 25 points possible
1. Click on the “Adobe Software ” tab at the top of our website.
2. Click on the active links to adobe TV based on topics I have selected as the Essentials
WHAT IS ILLUSTRATOR?
The Gradient tool
Customizing the workspace (panels)
creating an image trace
3. Watch at least 5 of these videos and post about what you have learned, in Edmodo . You will be graded based on the quality and depth of your post. 1 Extra point for each additional videos watched. You are also not limited to these videos, as you will see there are hundreds of videos on how to improve your skills.
Week 5: The Best of Design Blog Post
1. Find 5 amazing outstanding totally legit designs online that you feel exemplify the top of the Graphic Design world. (logos, packaging, branding, book covers, book marks, composition designs, movie poster, etc.
2. Make a new blog post on your weebly site. Title it: the best of Design.
3. Place each of the 5 designs you found in your blog and write 5-10 sentences (full sentences required) about each and why you think they are so great.
Consider the following:
Week 10: Typeface Creations
Design your own typeface. Get creative by drawing your own typeface. Create letters for your First, Middle, and Last name. Then Create your favorite 2 digit number. Graded on letter similarity, consistent cap-height, and creativity.
Extra credit for a sentence written in in your typeface, and for extra characters.
Week 17: Screen Printing
In a new blog post answer the following questions about screen printing from watching this video and wiki.
Wiki screen printing URL
You tube video on Screen Printing
1. When and where did screen printing begin?
2. Who is Andy Warhol and why is he so important to the Screen Printing industry? Attach a photo of his work to your blog.
3. What does the squeegee do in the screen printing process? (wiki)
4. Describe the process of getting the simple logo you designed on to you "screen". (video)
5. What kind of Ink do you use? (video)
6. How important is it to have graphic designers and screen printing artists in our world to do this process for us? Why do we even need graphic T-shirts?